Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Fix matlab gui in linux

This term I had to do some work on matlab so I installed the linux version but I found something very irritating in the guide gui builder , the gui wasnt stable at all and every time I move a button or any control all the window flickers like this …

at first I thought compiz was the reason for this but it turns out that disabling compiz has no great effect.
after a lot of searching I found that the reason of the problem was Java !! … matlab didnt find the jre location therefore couldn't render the gui well,
so a the executing this simple command in your terminal solves the problem

export MATLAB_JAVA=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/

note : you have to replace the path on the previous command with the correct path of the jre

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nice .. i had similar problem too when installed matlab on linux..
anyhow i don't use, i'm usin scipy which is matlab-like library in python .. slower than matlab but it's in python :D

Ahmed Kotb said...

unfortunately we had to use matlab for the numerical assignment ...
there is also sage a complete matlab like application in python :D

http://www.sagemath.org/

5 years of kotbcorp

Two days ago this blog completed its 5th year  :). So congratulations to my self and Thanks for the few followers that have been here for ...